Admissions Arrangements and Admission Criteria 2023-24
Starting in September 2023
St Ambrose Barlow is a Catholic School under the trusteeship of the Archdiocese of Liverpool. It is maintained by Wigan Council. As a Voluntary Aided School, the Governing Body is the Admissions Authority and is responsible for taking decisions on applications for admissions. The co-ordination of admissions arrangements is undertaken by the Local Authority. For the school’s year commencing September 2023, the Governing Body has set its admissions number at 30.
Our principal role as a Catholic school is to participate in the mission of the Catholic Church by providing a framework which will help children to grow in their understanding of the Good News and in the practice of their faith. The school will help the children develop fully as human beings and prepare them to undertake their responsibilities as Catholic in society. The school asks all parents applying for a place here to respect this ethos and its importance to the school community. This does not affect the rights of parents who are not of the faith of this school to apply for and be considered for a place here.
Admissions to the school will be determined by the Governing Body. Parents must complete a Local Authority Preference Form or apply online via the website www.wigan.gov.uk following the links. If you wish to have your application considered against that school’s faith/denomination criteria then you should ALSO complete the Supplementary Form which is available from the Local Authority and the school. All preferences listed will be considered on an equal basis and, where there are more applications than the number of places available, the following set of Oversubscription Criteria will be applied:
- Looked after children and previously looked after children. This includes children who appear to have been in state care outside of England and ceased to be in state care as a result of being adopted.
- Baptised Catholic children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
- Baptised Catholic children resident in the parish of St Margaret Clitherow (the part of the parish formerly referred as St Ambrose Barlow, Astley).
- Other baptised Catholic children.
- Other children who have a sibling in the school at the time of admission.
- Children from other Christian denominations. Proof of Baptism in the form of a Baptismal Certificate or confirmation in writing that the applicant is a member of their Faith community from an appropriate Minister of Religion is required.
- Children of other faiths. An appropriate Faith Leader would need to confirm in writing that the applicant is a member of their faith group.
- Other children.
In the event of any over subscription in the number of applications made under any of the categories above then the admissions committee will offer places first to children living nearest to the school measured as the crow flies.
A link to the online application form can be found by clicking on the link below.
Please note that school will require a Supplementary Faith Form with all applications.
May we remind parents that all payments must be made through Parentmail for Breakfast Club fees or Ties
Guidelines for school available under INFORMATION > PUBLIC HEALTH tabs at top of page
Opening times 7.30 a.m. – 9.00 a.m. £4.50 Booking essential Charges via Parentmail invoiced Fridays.